Thursday, January 12, 2017

3 Benefits to Making a Toile

1. Size and Fit
This is the main reason a toile is made first. Use cheap fabric, I used an old bed sheet to make my Rosie dress toile. After trying it on I made some minor adjustments to the fitted waist.
2. Style
Just like when buying ready made clothing you can try it on and decide if the style suits you. After trying on the Rosie toile I realized that the V neckline was to low for me.
3. Practice Skills
I use the process of making a toile my chance to practice my sewing skills . Normally you would not finish the edges but I go the extra step and do. I finished the neckline with self-fabric bias binding and I installed the zipper. Practice makes perfect right? so, I don't see it as a waste of time more like a future investment for when I make the actual dress, I have reduced the chances of messing it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking the Pattern- Review

I was excited to see a new sewing book at my local library last week. Without much thought I checked it out. The book is 'Breaking ...