In the last two weeks I have made 3 muslins of the Daisy dress bodice. Finally I am happy with the fit. Now I need to buy some nice fabric to make the dress in . Can't wait.
I got stuck while making the first muslin. Turns out the original instructions included with the pattern were incorrect. The corrected instructions are on the simply sewing blog.
Other wise the pieces come together beautifully with all the notches matching up perfectly.
Friday, January 20, 2017
Transfer the design
In this project I am using a fibrous water soluble product called Wash-n-Gone 541 by Pellon. If like me you don not own a light box then, tape the image you would like to use on a window. Next tape the stabilizer over the image and trace.
I use a pilot Frixion ball pen or pencil. Don't use a marker as it can bleed when you rinse the stabilizer off and ruin your work.
Once you have traced the image onto the stabilizer baste it onto the right side of your fabric. I also fuse SF101 onto the wrong side of my fabric prior to basting the stabilizer
Stitch the design
Attach the darning foot to your machine, lower the feed dogs and stitch over the drawn image. I go over the image a few times to give it a bolder look. For this project I am using a grey all purpose thread.
Once I have finished stitching I pull the thread ends to the wrong side of my fabric and trim them. Next I carefully trim away the excess stabilizer and remove the baste stitching.
Thursday, January 12, 2017
This is the main reason a toile is made first. Use cheap fabric, I used an old bed sheet to make my Rosie dress toile. After trying it on I made some minor adjustments to the fitted waist.
Just like when buying ready made clothing you can try it on and decide if the style suits you. After trying on the Rosie toile I realized that the V neckline was to low for me.
3. Practice Skills
I use the process of making a toile my chance to practice my sewing skills . Normally you would not finish the edges but I go the extra step and do. I finished the neckline with self-fabric bias binding and I installed the zipper. Practice makes perfect right? so, I don't see it as a waste of time more like a future investment for when I make the actual dress, I have reduced the chances of messing it up.
Friday, January 6, 2017
Simply Sewing issue 24. Instead of faux fur I used flannel for the lining and also instead of lining the sole I used binding to hide the raw edges.
I love this fabric is it 100% cotton chambray. I original made it into a gathered skirt for my daughter but after a year of it sitting at...
During my home economics sewing class I had to complete two projects, the first a plain white short sleeve T-shirt, the fabric for this ...
A lot of people would argue that no one visits libraries anymore, but its simply not true. I personally visit my local library weekly and on...
super easy shorts with elastic waist Pattern -K1668 by Simplicity, option D in a small, without any adjustments. There are only two pa...