Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Happy new year

I set myself the goal of learning to sew my own clothes in 2017. There are 4 me made dresses and skirts hanging in my closet. Yes, if you look at them closely they are not perfect , but despite the flaws I enjoy wearing them.
One of the biggest challenges in the begin was  making the toiles in my size. Ready made clothes and pattern sizes differ so much and I had a hard time believing that I should make a size 14 when I wear a size 6. I made many snug fitting toiles, once I allowed myself to trust in the pattern information and make clothes that correspond with my measurements I discovered making clothes that fit with minor adjustment is  easy. Size Wise in the December 2017 issue of Sew News by Joi Mahon explains it so much better than I am.
Picking fabric also is a challenge mainly because I only want to make and wear clothes from natural fibres. The closest fabric shop is a smaller Joann with a  limited apparel selection and although online shops have a larger selection each time I have opened my package I have been surprised, there is no substitute to seeing and  handling the fabric before buying, I guess I should buy a sample first but I am impatient and that just increases the wait.

The goal for 2018 to double the number of me mades in my closet. Here is to another year of happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Kiri - great goal to sew your own clothes in 2018! Going by the last couple of skirts you made, which look fabulous btw, you will easily double the me mades in your closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and a Happy New Year to you also. k

      Delete

Breaking the Pattern- Review

I was excited to see a new sewing book at my local library last week. Without much thought I checked it out. The book is 'Breaking ...