Thursday, May 10, 2018

Sew Serendipity - Skirt

I love this fabric is it 100% cotton chambray. I original made it into a gathered skirt for my daughter  but after a year of it sitting at the bottom of her drawer I realized she was never going to wear it. So I unpicked the skirt thinking I could reuse the fabric for smaller projects.
Inspiration to use it to make a skirt for myself came from looking through Sew Serendipity. All the skirts in this book are made from 6 panels and all use a combination of fabric. Ideal for using up small pieces of fabric.
I chose the tailored skirt, its a knee length A-line skirt with pockets and invisible back zipper. There is a contrast fabric at each seam and on the pocket tops.
I had enough fabric to cut the 6 panels and 2 pockets without worrying about pattern matching. Honestly I think the only people who will notice and mind I have not pattern matched are other sewist, a small number.
The facing and inner pockets I cut from the contrast fabric.
I cut a size medium, the finished skirt sits comfortable below my belly button. I made no alterations to the pattern, the finished waist measures 32 inches. I did not see listed any finished measurement and for me 2 inches wearing ease on a skirt is a lot. Now that I know how it fits next time I will use a wider seam allowance to eliminate some of the ease. For the zipper, instructions are given to install an invisible zipper using a regular zipper foot. Handy if you don't own an invisible zipper foot.
This skirt came together nicely all the pieces aligned exactly. The instructions are well written and easy  to follow as long as you don't mind flipping back and forth to all the different steps sections, the skirt instructions are on page 40, general skirt instructions on page 30 and zipper instructions on page 22.  The nice thing about this book is  all the included pattern pieces are full size. There are 6 variations on the skirt pattern . Also included in the book is a dress and jacket pattern with 6 variations each.  Patterns are graded from  XXS to XXL.
Sew Serendipity by Kay Whitt retails for $27.99. I got my copy from amazon for $9.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking the Pattern- Review

I was excited to see a new sewing book at my local library last week. Without much thought I checked it out. The book is 'Breaking ...