Thursday, March 29, 2018

Easy Sewing Project

Inspired by the Gym Accessories feature in Simply Sewing issue 38, I trimmed some white terry toweling fabric , that I  purchased a long time ago for I project I never made, with some colourful quilting cotton to make two new hand towels.
For the first towel I followed the project instructions using four strips of fabric to bind the edges. This results in a wider band.

For the second towel I used my regular binding method. Both methods are easy, which method you use is personal choice.

Regular binding Method.
1. Cut 3''  wide strips, length of fabric, Join strips to make one continuous strip long enough to cover all four sides.
2. Press in half lengthwise with wrong sides together.
3. Align raw edges of toweling and binding ,stitch together using a 1/4'' seam allowance. At each corner fold binding away from project to form a 45 degree angle, fold binding back down onto the next raw edge, align edges and continue sewing.
4. To finish binding fold one short raw edge to wrong side by 1/2'', tuck other binding tail into the folded tail and stitch to finish.
5. Fold binding to other side of towel and top stitch in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking the Pattern- Review

I was excited to see a new sewing book at my local library last week. Without much thought I checked it out. The book is 'Breaking ...