|Gathered skirt with in seam pocket|
Pockets are essential, if I make a bag and don't include pockets I later regret it. sometimes carrying a bag with or without pockets is not practical, like when visiting amusement parks, with their no bag on ride policy or at the entrance waiting in a long bag check line. That's when a pocket on clothing is necessary to carry essentials like keys, cash and phone. Sadly its rare to find pockets on ready made skirts and dresses, my main summer wear.
So I made a skirt with pockets. Making this skirt is easy enough, and there are many tutorials on the internet and in magazines. I consulted a number of books and magazines before I started and consolidated the techniques I liked to make the skirt, my instruction follow.
The in seam pocket pattern you will find in issue 26 of Simply Sewing magazine or draft your own.
Gathered Skirt with Pockets in 10 Easy Steps
1. Measure waist and multiply by 2.5 for fullness. Divide by 2. This is the width of the front and back pieces.
2. Measure from waist to knee add 3cm (1 1/4 in), this is the length for the front and back pieces. (my width measurement was less than the width of fabric, so when calculating how much fabric I needed I multiplied the length by two)
3. Cut 2 piece of fabric using waist and length measurements.
4. Cut pocket pieces from fabric scraps.
5. Place pocket 15cm down from top, Right side down on right side of skirt front, align pocket straight edge with side seam and sew with a 1/2cm seam allowance. Repeat with corresponding back piece.
6. Open pocket pieces away from skirt, press flat. Place front and back pieces right sides together with pockets extended away from skirt. Stitch down side seams and around pocket using a 1cm seam allowance. Clip into seam at top and bottom of pocket. Press seams open. Repeat with other side. Neaten raw edges of sides and top with zig zag stitch.
10. To hem skirt fold towards wrong side 1/2cm, press, fold again 2cm, press. Stitch hem.