Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Shades of Green


I recently purchased this accessory set for my machine. To test my new even/ walking foot I chose to make project 11 from the 'School of Sewing' book- the placemats.
Not wanting to buy more fabric I selected fabric from my ever growing stash but had just enough fabric to make two with only a strip left over. Initially I was fine with making just two but when I saw my finished placements I loved the results so made two more using what little of the leaf fabric I had left.
 
To make my version of the placemat project you will need for the top piece one 4 x 21' strip and one 12 x 21' piece, using a 1/2 in seam allowance stitch the two pieces right sides together on the 21'' side. This will give you a top piece that measures 15 x 21''.
 
Next cut one piece of batting that is 1'' larger all around than the top piece. Cut  a bottom piece from quilting fabric that is 1'' larger all around than the batting piece.
Place the pieces in a quilting sandwich as follows bottom piece right side down on work surface, batting and then top piece right side up.
Pin the quilting sandwich together. Begin sewing from the centre out. I used  vertical rows of stitching. For the distance between the rows I used the edge of my walking foot.
Neaten edges by trimming place mat to 14 x 20''. Bind edges.  I cut my own bias binding but ready made bias tape can be used.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking the Pattern- Review

I was excited to see a new sewing book at my local library last week. Without much thought I checked it out. The book is 'Breaking ...