Thursday, March 15, 2018

The Vest Top



I enjoy an easy and quick make like this vest top from Cotton and Chalk's "Holiday Set".
The suggested fabric for this top is stretch knits with 35% stretch. I used a 100% cotton jersey polka print  from Fabric.com.
The instructions are easy to follow just join the shoulder seams and side seams, double hem the neckline and arm holes with a 2.5cm hem for the bottom. I ignored the neckline instructions actually I did follow them to begin with but did not like the finished results, one shoulder ended up wider then the other, not a good look.  I unpicked it and used 1/2'' single old bias tape instead.
To use bias tape, firstly pre-shape the tape to match the curve of the neckline with a steam iron, right side of bias tape to right side of fabric. stitch in place , trim seam allowance to just under  a 1/4''. Turn bias tape to inside and straight stitch into place. Its a neater finish.
I used a 80/11 knit fabric needle and a narrow zigzag stitch for all sewing except the hem and neckline. For the hem I used a twin needle.
I made a medium, its a loose fit. I was expecting a tighter body hugging fit. When I make this top again I will blend a small bust with a medium hip. I think this will give me the fit I was expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking the Pattern- Review

I was excited to see a new sewing book at my local library last week. Without much thought I checked it out. The book is 'Breaking ...